Here is a report about the next potential "doomsday" virus which could conceivably wipe us all out. I applaud science in all its forms, I am a scientist by training. I have no problem with most research, even in cases where the vast majority of lay people think it is unethical. In this study, it seems that researchers have been studying the effect of this new virus, and its pattern of mutation in mammals, specifically mice. Now, an experiment such as this would no doubt involve an environment where the virus is best suited to mutate and survive in its host(s). I can see the importance of detecting and analysing the viruses that have the potential to mutate into a dangerous strain, however actually providing an environment where the virus can do just that seems a bit reckless. An analogy would be to increase the earth's gravitational pull in order to detect which asteroids may be on an intercept course with us.
I am reminded of a fact I once learnt about the very first test of the Manhatten Project (the project to produce and test the first nuclear bomb). The lead scientists involved were fundamentally unsure whether the amount of energy produced by splitting an atom would actually heat the atmosphere to flash point, thus sending a heated explosion around the entire atmosphere of the planet, killing all living things. They were "fairly sure" this wouldn't happen. And if it did, who would complain?
Let's hope no-one in the lab wants a pet mouse.
Tuesday, June 29, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment