Friday, June 04, 2004

TGIF

Just saw the Olympic Torch Relay as it went past not far from my work.

Evidently, this is the last relay that will be held anywhere other than the host nation and seeing as Australia probably won't get the Olympic in the rest of my life time...

It turned out to be a once in a lifetime oportunity, as I don't remember seeing the relay 4 years ago (except on tv), even though I was a volunteer for the Olympics.

It seems so long ago. The world has changed. Not for the better, but at least it has changed. Change is life. No change is stagnation and death.

Well, enough waxing philosophical, I am really just trying to waste a bit of time while I wait for beer o'clock in 22 minutes...

What did people do to whittle away the last few moments of a work week before technology? Technically, I am sitting here talking to myself...21 minutes...and, while I do talk to myself out loud whenever I can, they'd lock me up in a nanosecond if I sat here for 19 minutes chatting to myself.

I wonder how long I can keep this up? I am surprised that I am not being innundated by work, as 16:30 Friday is one the busiest times for I.T. as everyone decides they better get some work done this week, before the weekend, and are in such a rush they tend to break things and lose files. Plus, if they can lose all their work by not saving, they can sleep easy on the weekend knowing that that is I.T's fault. Fortunately, I have broad shoulders and can take this kind of pressure. That, and the fact that I have no sympathy for people who rush to get things done last thing Friday and can't stay calm long enough to press save. 16 minutes.

What more is there to say with 15 minutes to go? We are now in the ball park where a quick trip to the loo, followed by a check on the server, followed by a tour of the office for no apparent reason will use up the remaining 14 minutes. I type too fast. I think too fast. Before you all start innundating me with complaints about my ego and spelling, I consider both burdens. I can think fast, but stopping the thoughts takes alot of meditation and effort. I am better than I used to be, but with 13 minutes to go on a slow Friday afternoon, I am prone to fall into old habits.

Well, I am off to do my tour now with 12 minutes to go. Until Monday, where we turn the cycle, get on the horse, prepare our souls and sit down to do it all again.

Long live the flame.

No comments: