I have always had technology around me. I can't say I am overly aroused by the stuff, but I have a knack for understanding technology. I never have any trouble setting a VCR, changing the time on a digital watch or even working out how ancient machines work. Technology simply doesn't bother me.
Much. Being blase about technology doesn't save me from it.
Here is the process for playing a DVD using my current setup.
1) Find the remote for the DVD player.
2) Press on.
3) Find the remote for the TV.
4) Press on.
5) Press AV2.
6) Find the remote for the amplifier.
7) Press on.
8) Press DVD.
9) Adjust sound.
10) Watch 18 copyright warnings, 3 minutes of animated menu intro, find the DTS audio section, select DTS, find Start Movie.
11) Watch movie.
Annoying, especially as the remotes have no less than 18 different places they can go to hide.
Here is the process for playing a Playstation 2 Game.
1) Turn Playstation on.
2) Find remote for VCR.
3) Press on.
4) Select AV2.
5) Find remote for TV.
6) Press on.
7) Select AV1.
8) Find remote for amplifier.
9) Press on.
10) Select AUX.
11) Adjust sound.
12) Extricate controller from under pile of clothes, sheets and unopened bills.
13) Press start 18 times to get past distributer, developer, rights holder, coffee maker screens.
14) Press random buttons until something interesting happens.
One day, probably not in my lifetime knowing my luck, I will lie down, say "Play Blade Runner" and it will all happen. The worst part of it, is that I have the know-how to write software for my infra-red enabled mobile phone that will process a voice command and send the right signals to the correct appliances to make this happen.
But I am too lazy to do it.
Thursday, May 13, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment