Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Caught in the Freudian Slips

Is it possible that Gempires has enunciated the dreams of all bloggers? Perhaps all 20-somethings? Dunno.

All 20-somethings (actually more like 30-somethings) that I know want to write, says more about my social circle than my clique I'd say, though.

I shudder at the thought of spending my working life doing something I love. I spend my WORKING life doing something I am good at (which gives me pleasure, I suppose). I spend my LIFE doing what I love: watching and making movies, reading and writing, anything creative. And I am not good at any of that, full stop. But that makes me happy. I enjoy things I can't do immensly.

My quarterlife crisis was brought about wanting to find work that combined all my interests PLUS what I was good at. When I climbed out of the hole I had dug myself, I was ready to spend the rest of my life content to simply earn a living. And to enjoy every moment. To enjoy the possibilities of even the most boring task. Since then, I haven't found very much boring at all.

The quarter-life crisis, the mid-life crisis and all of the others serve to remind us that unhappiness comes from not achieving what we want. It's my view we exist to simply soak it all in, to live in the moment and enjoy it. The second we start wanting things to go one way or another, we close our eyes to the beauty of the universe, the beauty that comes from the chaos and unpredicatability. I suppose this is the spiritual side of these crises.

The physical side, in my opinion, is the fact that as humans we have evolved over millions of years to exist in less than 30 years of life. Our own hormones and instincts scream at us to get a move on and pass on our genes from puberty on. The crises are reactions our bodies not getting what it wants.

Now, writing all of this speaks volumes of my mental state. Calling Dr. Freud.

No comments: